Tuesday 31 December 2013

Pina Colada in the rain

Those of a certain age and over may remember The Pina Colada song

I was tired of the tv, I thought I’d try something new
So I got up early, even before all the dew
I went out with my bins, equipped with my scope
As I looked up to see the sky, I thought what a dope

'If you like Pina Coladas, getting caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga, birding can keep you sane
If you like getting up at midnight to try dunes on the coast
To find the elusive stonechat, and post on twitter to boast"

I didn't think about my budgie, I know that sounds kinda mean
But decided on Pennington Flash, where I hadn’t previously been
So I arrived in the car park, thinking I was mad
To find a slav grebe, I thought it wasn't half bad.

"Yes, I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain
I'm gonna try Mere sands, which is just down the lane
I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon and cut through to the lake
Where I’m looking for a bird called a goosander drake"

So I arrived with high hopes and see birds at Burton mere
A kingfisher in an instant, it brought quite a tear    
It was my favourite bird and I said, "Oh, wonderful"
Then we laughed for a moment and I said, "We’re off to Mull"


"Yes I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain
And the feel of the ocean and the taste of the champagne
If you like getting up at midnight to try dunes on the coast
To find the elusive stonechat, and post on twitter to boast”

Cheers!

Rob