Friday 23 November 2012

Close encounter

I visited Fountains Road today too, enticed by the report of 300+ Waxwings from David earlier in the week. But what I actually saw was rather different- 1 solitary Waxwing! I'm not complaining though as I spent a very enjoyable few minutes watching it. It wasn't bothered by me at all and I was able to walk right up to the tree it was in. It even flew down to briefly drink from a puddle in the road which was quite exciting and something I hadn't seen before. I've noticed on two occasions now that when you have a flock of Waxwings they tend to be quite skittish and won't stay still for long, but if you find one on its own it tends to be much more 'calm' and you can watch it at your leisure!

The view as I approached.


Standing underneath the tree.



And as a bonus, as I started to walk back towards Stanley Road, a large flock of perhaps 100 or more Waxwings flew overhead. It was a breathtaking sight with the sun on them, hearing them calling as they went.

Anna

No comments: