Sunday 12 January 2014

Man who perseveres with rails gets run over by train

BMW's Water Rail - Neil Prendergast

Hi All,
Over the past few months I have driven over to Burton Mere Wetlands a thousand times ... (and yes, I know you have all told me a million times not to exaggerate ;-) and although I have seen glimpses of a kingfisher in the distance, I have always just been too late and missed not only the boat but the famous (for the want of other words) Water Rail there. 

So on Friday I decided to drive over and chance my luck again for a rare sighting hmmm!
When I got to the Tee junction of Burton village there was a road sign saying that the road was closed ... no explanation or for how long Grrrr! ... So had to retrace my steps back to the main Chester road and enter Burton via Puddington village. 
BMW reserve improvements in progress
I eventually arrived at the Burton RSPB site, walked in through the reception doors to be greeted by very excited members all flapping about like Lapwings .. (pardon the pun) and happened to over hear the illusive name of the Water Rail being mentioned.
I made a B-line to the window and was able to see it partly in the reeds by the waters edge. So I quietly opened the side door of the reception leading to the wooden walkway outside and got a clearer view of it and without having to take any photo's through the double glazing windows of the building.
I was promptly followed by another two people with cameras, one being the full time RSPB warden ...
From then on, a hail of camera shutters could be heard throughout the land, which made the Rail a little uneasy as they are at the best of times, just with the Moorhens and Coots that intimidate and bully it off the feeding areas and yes, being that Panto time of year again "They where behind it" ... but Water Rails never listen to you anyway, so why bother trying 



So all in all, I was very fortunate to have gotten a few photo's of it before it scampered quickly to the opposite side of the reception building.

 Rail with fish - N Prendergast 

To which I did stalk it (pardon the pun) to the other side and again, was very lucky to have photographed it with a small fish (a stickleback I presume ?) that it had just caught in its mouth, which was a real bonus.

So in those immortal words of Confucius .... he say, "Man who pelseveres with lails, either get lun over by tlain if in wong place ," but if in light place, get the pelfect picture of the correct Rail with fish and no chips."


("Man who perseveres with rails gets run over by train if in wrong place," but if in right place, gets perfect picture of correct Rail with fish and no chips.)





Egret - Another BMW favourite -Neil Prendergast

Neil

1 comment:

Ann Tomo said...

Very funny Neil, missed your vocation.