Monday 4 March 2013

     

                         
                     LESSER  SCAUP.                Burton Mere wetlands.


Sun 3rd March.

Sunday saw me trudging up forest tracks in Clocaenog Forest in search of great grey shrike. Got to
 summit near radio mast, very cold and windy, spent an hour at the top but no sign of the shrike at all. A couple of ravens displaying overhead and a nice group of 4 bullfinches, but very little else. I will have to go back on a nicer day, as fantastic 360 views from the summit.

Feeling a bit fed up decide to stop in at Burton Mere wetlands on the way back.

Could not believe my luck, as I showed my membership card I was asked if I had come to see the Lesser Scaup! She explained that it was on the fishing pools with half a dozen tufties. Great views and managed a few pictures. If you want to see some better photos have a look at " A Wirral birders blog", fantastic pictures by Phil Woolen showing all the tricky identification, ie wing bars etc. A great blog.

Also had good views of water rail right next to visitor centre windows feeding with coots and moorhen.


Sean.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Scaup my eye, someone's being playing dot 2 dot on that tufty!