Friday 19 October 2007

A change in the air



A red letter day for me, as tis my first blog - so here goes.
I may not be a twitcher, or one mortified because they dipped that little brown warbler. But I do like to observe the visitors to my very local patch, namely my garden, and yesterday and today brought me proof that winter is on the way. For those of you that have visited our website you will know I have nestbox camera’s installed; The last 2 days have noted a sudden drop in overnight temperatures and sure enough one of our little blue friends checked into the Bimson hotel to roost, after all why shiver on a branch when you can snooze in your own pad. The second signal for a change in season was this morning, with the arrival of our first male Blackcap. Over the last couple of years I have noted, along with Long tailed Tits and Goldcrest, Blackcaps have visited the garden from autumn through to spring, they particularly like homemade suet cake so I better start cooking. I’ve already had a flock of 20 Lollipops last week, still waiting for the first Goldcrest and wouldn’t it be nice to get some winter thrush visitors - didn’t plant out all those shrubs- Pyracantha, Cotoneaster & Berberis just for their colour! - Laura

No comments: